The world of compliant business messaging is complex.
It’s not always for the reasons you might expect. Technology is challenging, integration with enterprise systems can be tricky, and security audits can take a long time. But the main reason is the user, or more precisely the technical and business environments when communicating on messaging applications or user communication patterns. Compliance solutions must adapt to these patterns.
LeapXpert’s data-driven platform supports a large number of user communication patterns with two message processing modes:
- Governed mode – All messages are routed through the LeapXpert platform, where they are processed before being delivered to the recipient
- Native mode – All messages are delivered to the recipient over the consumer messaging channel and then imported to the LeapXpert platform for process
Let’s take a look at these user communication patterns to understand the benefits of each LeapXpert’s processing mode.
First, user communication patterns related to the communication device used for business conversations, typically a corporate device provided by the enterprise or a personal device (called Bring-Your-Own-Device or BYOD). Some enterprises offer corporate devices to their employees but due to high costs and operational complexity, many prefer to go for a BYOD approach.
Second, the messaging application. Enterprises usually have their corporate communication applications for internal professional communications, such as Microsoft Teams, Slack, or others, and have them installed on corporate or BYOD devices. Employees have their own consumer messaging apps such as WhatsApp, WeChat, or SMS/iMessage (attached to their personal device number).
Third, the enterprise policies. Enterprises forbid the use of personal messengers on corporate devices, enforced by Mobile Device Management (MDM) software such as BlackBerry, Microsoft Intune, or Mobileiron. Due to these restrictions, the employee is usually keen to take a second device for installing his preferred messaging app and using it for his personal and external conversations. The use of a BYOD device avoids any corporate restrictions.
How does it influence compliance and recordkeeping of business conversations, in particular with clients and external parties?
First, corporate devices can only support SMS with partial archiving capabilities, similar to the installed corporate communication application. That’s why some organizations select a recordkeeping-enabled solution like Leap Work. Built on the LeapXpert Federated Messaging Orchestration platform, Leap Work is LeapXpert’s mobile and desktop application that employees use for engaging with clients on consumer messaging channels. All messages are then captured, processed, and archived through our archiving system’s partners. Leap Work can be integrated within the installed corporate communication app like Teams or Slack, or installed as a standalone app. For this, the governed mode is used.
For a BYOD device, there are three options:
- All conversations conducted over personal messaging channels are recorded and processed. LeapXpert syncs up all the data exchanged and records all conversations. User experience is fully native and does not require any behavior change on the employee side (native mode).
- The enterprise allocates a virtual professional number to the employee that can be used for professional conversations throughout WhatsApp for Business account for example (native mode). In this way, the user experience is fully native with personal conversations separated from the professional ones.
- Employees install the Leap Work app using a pooled corporate number for communicating with clients. Personal conversations are separated from professional ones (governed mode).
Customers can mix and match message processing modes per user and per channel. This is a huge plus, as multiple user communication patterns may coexist in their organization.
LeapXpert has built a flexible, open architecture enabling us to support any communication pattern and customer needs.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Useful tips and helpful information.
You can unsubscribe at any time - obviously!