Failure to properly archive WhatsApp messages led to $2 billion in fines for US banks on Wall Street. It also prompted the SEC to allege that some companies may have intentionally erased WhatsApp messages to hide information. Reports like these only further erode public trust in corporations and financial institutions. Automated archiving can help. So, what is WhatsApp Archiving, and how do you implement this for your business?
What Is WhatsApp Archiving?
WhatsApp archiving involves backing up your WhatsApp chat history to a remote server. People can do this via the app and a cloud-based service, such as Google Drive or iCloud. Once your chat history is archived, you can access it at any time by logging into your account on the cloud-based service.
Personal archives are helpful, but they are also susceptible to manipulation. For example, workers could erase the conversations they don’t want to be saved before completing backups. Doing this could skew the data available and create deliberate holes in communications.
Consequently, companies increasingly rely on third-party applications that automatically record messages sent and received. Whether users delete this information or not, the conversations are saved in their entirety in archives. Only authorized persons can access these archives.
What Are Some Benefits of WhatsApp Archiving?
Data is the new currency in the business world. Even so, not all data is created equal. Companies need accurate, relevant, and up-to-date information to reap the benefits. Archiving solutions help companies meet this need. Here are some additional benefits of WhatsApp archiving:
- Compliance: WhatsApp archiving can help your business comply with industry regulations, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act or the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
- Legal protection: If your company is ever involved in a lawsuit, having an archive of all past communications can be invaluable. WhatsApp messages are no exception.
- Risk management: By keeping a record of all WhatsApp messages, you can mitigate potential risks, such as reputational damage or regulatory action.
- Fraud prevention: WhatsApp archiving can also help prevent fraud by providing a record of all communications. Archived conversations can be helpful in investigations and may help deter potential fraudsters.
- Data protection: WhatsApp archiving can help protect your data during a security breach. Keeping a secure backup of all messages ensures that your data is not lost or manipulated.
- Data analytics: WhatsApp archives can provide valuable insights to help your business make better decisions.
What Are Some Challenges of Implementing WhatsApp Archiving?
Despite all the benefits of WhatsApp archiving, managers will likely encounter friction during the implementation process. Identifying these ahead of time can make it easier to create contingencies or avoid the problems altogether. Consider the following challenges:
- Data privacy concerns: WhatsApp messages often contain personal information that hackers could use to exploit or harm individuals. As such, companies must take care to protect this data.
- Legal implications: WhatsApp archiving can have legal consequences if it results in data misuse. For example, releasing messages without the sender’s consent could violate privacy laws.
- Storage requirements: WhatsApp messages can take up a lot of storage. Consequently, companies need to have enough space to accommodate all the files.
- IT infrastructure: Companies need to have a robust IT infrastructure or partner with companies that do. Necessary infrastructure includes servers, storage, and backup systems.
- Implementation costs: Implementing a WhatsApp archiving solution can be costly. Companies need to factor in the hardware, software, and services costs.
- Operational costs: In addition to the initial implementation costs, companies must factor in the ongoing operating expenses. This includes the cost of maintaining and updating the system.
What Are Some Best Practices for WhatsApp Archiving?
One of the best ways to reduce risks is to implement best practices that other companies have used successfully. Review the following examples:
- Identify the business need: The first step is to identify the need for WhatsApp archiving. This will help you determine the project’s scope and the necessary resources.
- Develop a plan: Once you have identified the business needs, you need to develop a plan to meet them. This should include an inventory of all existing communications and a plan for how to archive them.
- Choose a solution: There are many WhatsApp archiving solutions on the market. Take the time to review your options and choose one that meets your specific needs.
- Test the solution: Conduct a pilot test with a small group. Doing this provides the opportunity to work out the kinks before a full rollout.
- Train employees: Employees need to receive training on how to use the WhatsApp archiving solution. This includes how to archive messages and how to access the data.
- Monitor usage: Regularly monitor usage after implementing the WhatsApp archiving solution. Doing so can help you detect any issues and ensure appropriate use.
WhatsApp archiving is necessary for companies that use the app for business communication. Choosing the right tool is half the process of ensuring compliance and data security. Our developers at LeapXpert have created software that integrates natively with WhatsApp and works around its encryption restrictions. Book your demo to see how it works.